At least six members of the crowd were removed from the stands in the Sydney Cricket Ground on the fourth day after concerns raised by the Indian team.
It was Mohammad Siraj once again who appeared to have raised concerns on the fourth day when play was stopped for a brief while as the umpires and security officials combined to take action, and removed the spectators concerned before play resumed.
The incident follows what was reported by Cricbuzz earlier when the Indian team had raised complaints of racial abuse from the crowd at the end of the third day. The abuse had been directed towards the likes of Mohammad Siraj and Jasprit Bumrah.
On the complaints raised by India on the third day about racial abuse, Sean Carroll, Cricket Australia’s Head of Integrity and Security, said, “Cricket Australia condemns in the strongest terms possible all discriminatory behaviour. If you engage in racist abuse, you are not welcome in Australian cricket.
“CA is awaiting the outcome of the International Cricket Council’s investigation into the matter reported at the SCG on Saturday. Once those responsible are identified, CA will take the strongest measures possible under our Anti-Harassment Code, including lengthy bans, further sanctions and referral to NSW Police.
“As series hosts, we unreservedly apologise to our friends in the Indian cricket team and assure them we will prosecute the matter to its fullest extent.”
Kerrie Mather, Venues NSW’s Chief Executive, said CCTV footage was being reviewed to assist the ICC investigation.
“At the SCG, we pride ourselves on welcoming anyone and everyone in a safe and inclusive environment,” Mather said.
“We are taking this extremely seriously. If those involved are identified, they will be banned from the SCG and all Venues NSW properties under our Act.”
More to follow